9/16/12

Yummy Mummy Kitchen

I have been a meat eater all my life...well minus the two weeks in 9th grade when I wanted to be a vegetarian, but wasn't eating at all.  I fainted in church, and it was super embarrassing.   So I went back to eating like I always had.  The past few weeks that I've been flirting with being a vegetarian.  I don't know what to cook.  I make Max and Ian something, and then myself something.   I bought tofu, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm scared to open the package.  I don't want to be grossed out with it before I even attempt to make something with it.   So if any of you have an awesome tofu recipe,  let me know!!

Last night I was on Pinterest, which I seem to pin more than actually trying to complete some crafty project or yummy dish.  One of my friends pinned butternut squash black bean enchiladas.  Say that 3 times fast.  I've never had butternut squash, but I was determined to try it.  It's from the blog Yummy Mummy Kitchen.  This blog is amazing and my new obsession.  The food recipes are awesome!

This morning before any of the football games started Max and I ventured to Target and got all the ingredients for this yummy looking dish.  We of course got heckled for our attire.  Steelers shirts.  Oh Cardinals fans are so nice.  How they couldn't be dazzled by Max's cuteness in his Polamalu jersey is just wrong.  Do they not have a soul?  We got what we needed including a pumpkin spice latte, and came home. 



The enchiladas are super easy to make, and since I'm the only one that will be eating these I ended up freezing half of the butternut squash black bean filling.   I'm pretty excited about the dish I made, and I hope it taste as good as it smells!!


2 1/2 cups 1/2-inch cubed butternut squash (12-ounces, or about 1 small-medium peeled, seeded squash)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
15 ounces cooked or canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus more cilantro for garnish
12 ounces jarred or fresh mild green salsa
1/4 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt (such as Chobani)
1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
8 corn tortillas  (I used the smaller ones, but I think the larger tortillas would be easier) 
1 large ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
1 cup low fat sour cream  (I didn't use sour cream)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place cubed butternut squash on a large baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast for 20 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, stir together roasted butternut squash, beans, chopped onion, and cilantro. In another medium bowl, stir together salsa and yogurt.

Pour a thin layer of the salsa sauce over the bottom of 10" x 7" casserole dish. The 10x7-inch dish is perfect for corn tortillas, but an 8-inch square baking dish would work as well. Place 1/3 cup of the squash and bean mixture into each tortilla. Top with 1 tablespoon of cheese and roll up. Place seam-side-down in the baking dish. Continue until all the squash mixture is used up. Pour the remaining salsa sauce over the top of enchiladas. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until cheese has melted and starting to brown in places, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and serve with sour cream and avocado.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I made these for lunch, but they smelled so good I had to try a bite.  They are beyond delicious!!  The butternut squash is a tad bit sweet and goes great with the cilantro.  Yum!!!  I'm so ready for lunch!!

Happy Sunday!!  I hope your football teams win!!  Unless you are a Jets fan...sorry Beachys.  :) 

1 comment:

  1. These look awesome! Butternut squash is such a fall staple for us, so we'll have to give these a shot sometime soon. Thanks for sharing!

    Amy
    @Chobani

    ReplyDelete