10/24/12

Double Trouble

So I left off at Oakmont Bakery, and actually that's the last place we went before Ian's family met up for dinner that night.  Can you believe that I forgot about Heinz Field?! 

Friday afternoon we went to see where the Steelers play.  I was so excited. So. Excited.  Max and Amaya were napping, so Pat was kind enough to stay in the car with them while Nicole. Jaden, Ian, and myself went and took in Heinz Field and took pictures.  You would have thought I was seeing a famous person.  I was giddy.  This is the home of the Steelers.  This is where I see the Terrible Towels waving in the stands.  This is where there are those yellow seats.  I saw the yellow seats in person.  Do I sound crazy??  I'm just an excited Steelers fan. :)  I totally would have died if we saw an actual player.  We also drove by PNC Park where the Pirates play.  No giddiness there, but it was cool to see. 

That night we got together with Pat's side of the family at an Italian restaurant.  I got some yummy eggplant parmesan.  (I was really worried about not eating meat.  I didn't want to break some Italian law, but it was a-ok.) Ian had the chicken parmesan, and  Max enjoyed a bowl of spaghetti and meatballs.  Max really enjoyed playing with his cousins, or getting into trouble.  Him and Amaya are double trouble

The food and family were great and it was wonderful meeting Ian's side of the family that I hadn't met before. 

Saturday we got up bright and early to take our adventure to Columbus, Ohio.  On our way we drove through West Virginia.  So in a span of half an hour we were in 3 states.  Crazy! We went to Columbus for Ian's Aunt and Uncle's 50th Wedding Anniversary.  This was John's side of the family.  I had met some when Ian and I got married, but that was 4 years ago, so it was a jumble of names.  Most of the family stayed at a hotel and the party began.  We went to a mass for the happy couple, and it was a beautiful church.  Max lasted about 10 minutes into the mass.  He spent the remainder of the time in the lobby, and then I took him outside and we played on a playground by the church.   After mass we went to a banquet hall and enjoyed dinner, family films/slide show, homemade desserts, and family stories.  Max had a blast playing with all his cousins.  Jbo taught him to break dance, they watched a pretend football game, they were running around screaming, laughing and getting into trouble. 

When we got back to the hotel it was late, and  I was hungry (it was chicken parmesan for dinner.  Looked yummy, but I only ate the veggies and Max ate the noodles.) So Max and I ordered room service and watched Hocus Pocus.  Ian enjoyed spending time with his family and catching up. (By catching up, I mean drinking many adult beverages.) I could hear the laughter in the room. 

Sunday we woke up, got into Steeler gear, and went down for breakfast.  I had one couple tell me I needed to buy Max a real jersey.  I'm not sure if he meant a Bengals or Browns jersey, but I just laughed.  The random guy also laughed because he thought he told the funniest joke in the world.   Umm..not so funny random guy.  Once everyone was done eating and chatting we all said our goodbyes.  We were heading to Cincinnati to see the Steelers play.  We drove by Ohio State, but there was an event going on so we didn't get to see much of the campus.  Bummer.

When we got to Cincinnati we crossed the river and were actually staying in Covington, Kentucky.  Our hotel was a fancy one and we had a killer view of the stadium.  We walked around to find a place to eat lunch.  I was kind of nervous that people would make comments about our shirts, but I was reminded that we were in Kentucky, not Cincinnati.  Oh, people did make comments in the elevator but John quipped back with, "Are you going to a Halloween party?" because the people were just wearing orange and black.   He said it so seriously though, that it was funny. 

When the boys and Tracy left for the game, we took the kiddos swimming.  Well actually it was more of splashing.  Max stayed on the first step and splashed like a mad man. He had a blast.  When he got out I was ready for a tantrum to make me regret bringing him to the pool, but he was good.  No tears.  I dashed him up to our room before he could cry.  It was after 8:00 by then, so we decided to order some food and put the kiddos to sleep.  I think we all watched the game in our rooms, and it was so cool to look out our window and see the stadium all lit up.   Thankfully we got a W and everyone came back to the hotel happy! 

In the morning we all had to say our goodbyes.  John and Pat drove us back to Columbus so that we could catch out flight.  Max was stoked to get on another airplane.  He fell asleep about 5 minutes into the flight. Our second flight was about an hour or so delayed.  He was awake and ready to play for this flight.  He played with the iPad and watched Mickey.  Then when we were just about to land he fell asleep.  He slept until just about 5:00 am the next morning.

It was a quick trip.  We crammed seeing a bunch of things into a few days, but it was an awesome trip.  Seeing family, making memories,  and having the pictures to go with those memories is priceless.  I can't wait to go back! 

Pittsburgh Zoo!!  I forgot to add these in the last post. 


Won't you be my neighbor?



Steelers!! 



Playing around before dinner. 


Checking out the view.
The view.


Splashing around in the pool!





No comments:

Post a Comment