12/23/15

Sugar Sugar

Christmas time means sugar cookie baking.  My Mom makes them every year, and they are so good.  So. Good.  One of the first Christmas that I brought Ian home, my Mom had made some and Ian loved them.  Sugar cookies are Ian's fave, and so sugar cookie baking has to take place in our household during the holiday season. I ask my Mom for the recipe every year.   I don't know why I don't write it down.  It's more fun asking my Mom every year.


They come out like little pillows of yummy goodness.  Even if you put them in the fridge after you decorate them with frosting, they stay soft.  Soft cookies>hard cookies.  I gave Max and Emma a small piece of dough that they could roll out and play with.  Max formed his into a cookie and proclaimed it to be the "world's famous cookie" and once you tried it, he would becoming the world's famous cookie maker.  It was really cute.

The set up so Max and Emma could decorate some cookies.

I had NSYNC's Christmas cd, because that is the best cd ever.  Max doesn't appreciate my love for NSYNC.  He told me to change it, and if I didn't he would. So rude.  He also said, "I don't like these songs for grownups."   I thought he was going to say old people, so grownups wasn't bad.

I had told them they could pick one cookie each that they decorated to eat.

My cookie monsters.

I tried to be all cutesy.  Ian's cookie with an I was turned sideways and he asked why I put an H.  He's full of jokes.

Max took his time and wanted to decorate the cookie perfectly.  Emma's technique was putting blobs of different colors and calling it good.  They each decorated maybe 4 each, and were done.  I was left to decorate on my own, and I left some without frosting.  I think sugar cookies without frosting are just as good.

In case you want to drop everything and make some sugar cookies today, here you go!

Soft Sugar Cookies
4 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 ½ cups sugar
1 cup butter (softened)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 container (8 oz) sour cream

In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt.In large mixing bowl combine sugar and butter. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla and continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low. Add in flour mixture alternately with sour cream and scrape bowl often until well mixed. Divide dough into 3 equal portions and wrap in plastic food wrap. (the dough is going to be super sticky.) Refrigerate until firm (at least 2 hours) or freeze if desired. Heat oven to 400 degrees. On floured surface roll out dough one portion at a time. Keep remaining dough in refrigerator until needed.  You might need extra flour when rolling because it will be sticky. Place on cookie sheet one inch apart. Bake cookies 6-9 minutes depending on your oven.    
Frosting
4 cups powdered sugar
1 stick butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp milk
(I didn't read the ingredients correctly and put 2 sticks of butter.  Pioneer Woman would be so proud. It still tasted good!)

2 comments:

  1. YES, hard cookies are no good! I looove decorating sugar cookies, so I may have to make these some time after Christmas. I'll just bring them to work or something, since Michael can't eat them!

    ReplyDelete