6/27/17

Road Rage

Yesterday the kiddos and I left our house to go to a near by store.  There's a roundabout to exit our community.  I'm at the roundabout waiting for the cars to go by, and a car behind me starts honking.  Not just one honk.  Honking nonstop.  The drivers window was also down, and he was yelling at me to effin go.  That right there should have been a red flag for me not to interact with a person like that, but sadly my emotions got the best of me, and I flipped the person off.  We went about our way to the store, and I parked the car. 

I look in my mirror and see a car park behind me.  It's the same car that was honking and yelling at me.  I roll down my window to let him know I have two children in the car.  He gets out and makes his way to us while yelling, "You should have effin thought about that before flipping me off bitch!" I start to roll up my window, and he gets to it before it's rolled up and puts his arm across it to hold it down.  I repeatedly tell him I have kids in the car.  At this point Max and Emma are crying.    My sweet babies are so scared.  He looks in the backseat.  He looks at them...these two faces right here.

 
He looks at them and mocks their crying.  I tried to explain why I didn't go at the roundabout.  This guy was so angry.  He just kept yelling at me, cussing me out and he spit on me.  I told him I was going to call the police.  It's like everything I said just made him more mad.  He put his hand in the car and was pointing it at my face.  I moved away, because I genuinely thought he might hit me.  All the while Max and Emma are witnessing this awful interaction.  I start to honk my horn and yell for help.  It was then that he backed away, spit on me again and went back to his car.  I quickly rolled up my window, and I just cried.  I was so upset that I put Max and Emma in that situation. 
 
I called Ian hysterical. He told me I had to call the police to file a report.  The kids were crying and wanted to go home.  We went home and I did call the police.  An officer came out, and he was the most amazing human being.   I told him everything, and he was quick to tell me that it wasn't my fault.  He said that I have the right to flip anyone off, because it's my freedom of speech.  He was able to get fingerprints off my window.  A whole hand print and partial fingerprints from both sides of the window.  The officer was full of jokes and made me laugh.  He was just so great. 
 
He asked if he could ask Max and Emma questions because they witnessed it.  Break. My. Heart.  To hear them answer and share what they saw and heard.  It's just so awful. Max told the officer the man was having a really bad day.  The officer was so nice to them. He gave them bracelets, which they are sporting proudly.  Unfortunately, that experience is going to stay with us.  I can't change any part of that story, even though I wish I could.  From now on though, I will never ever EVER flip anyone off or honk my horn.  Shoot, I don't think I will even make eye contact with other drivers. You never know the mental state of the person you're doing that to.  You never know if they might follow you to the store.  You never know if they are going to yell and spit at you in front of your kids.  You don't know what people are capable of.  I'm lucky that all he did was yell and spit.  It could have been worse. 
 
The kiddos and I are pretty much freaked out to leave the house.  The person lives in our neighborhood somewhere...friends, if you take anything from this.  Please don't flip off anyone.  Don't honk.  Don't let your emotions get the best of you while driving.  Please.
 
The kiddos and I are fine. They've been glued to my side.  Emma has basically fastened herself to my hip.  I see many board games, movie watching, fort building in our day, because we aren't quite ready to venture out. Maybe tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment