9/4/17

Twenty-One


 
Twenty-one years ago I watched my brother being born.  I remember it like yesterday.  My dad picked me up from school, and told me my mom was in labor.  We went to the hospital.  I was so excited!  When he was born, I cried. I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it now.  Hearing a baby's first cry is such a beautiful sound.  The whole experience was kind of traumatizing for me.  I was 13.  It was one of the best days of my life.  This little baby boy changed my 13 year old self. 
 
It's funny...well now it's funny, Antonio and I used to fight all the time.  I don't even know what we fought about, because when I was in high school he was 2!  When we'd go to the store, I'd walk around with him.  Take him to the toy section.  I was such a great big sister.  He would call me mom!  I'd get so mad.  He'd keep doing it though.  I probably could have died from embarrassment.  Now I have Max or Emma call him dad.  Ha! 
 
Over the years I've been able to experience his first hockey game and Steelers game (preseason, but still!) with him.  He doesn't like the Penguins, so I'm not sure where we went wrong.  I've watched him grow up.  He's taken on his role as Uncle (and godfather to Max), and Max and Emma adore him. 
 
There aren't enough words to tell you how proud of my brother I am.  He's pretty amazing, and I'm so happy that on September 4, 1996 he came into my life.  I love you Antonio!  Happy Birthday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment